State Money For Conservation

State cost share funds are available for permanent and management practices to control erosion and reduce sediment such as terraces, grassed waterways, and structures. The local soil and water conservation district (SWCD) sets priorities for funding of these practices. These funds are managed by the Black Hawk Soil and Water Conservation Board of Commissioners. The cost share rate is approximately 50% of the actual cost or the estimated cost, whichever is less, with a maximum amount of $5000 that a person can receive. Applications are at our office and are also available online. Please call our office if you have any questions about this and we will be happy to help you.



REAP Funds Available

Considering that winter is hopefully nearing the end, now is the time to think seriously about

planting a windbreak, adding to an existing windbreak, planting a few acres to trees, make

improvements on your timber or establish some habitat for the wildlife

we like to have here in Iowa.

We can assist you with any of the following practices:

Farmstead Windbreak – Must be a minimum of 3 rows – 2 rows conifer trees and 1 row shrubs or 3 rows conifer trees. Cost share is 75% of actual cost not to exceed an actual cost of

$25/tree and $4/shrub. The maximum amount of cost share is $1500/windbreak.

Field Windbreak – Minimum of 1 row trees or shrubs. Cost share is 75% of actual cost not to

exceed $450/acre.

Tree Planting – There is a 3 acre minimum for this practice. Cost share is 75% of actual cost not to exceed $450/acre which includes establishing ground cover, trees and tree planting operations, weed and pest control and mowing, disking and spraying.

Timber Stand Improvement – This has a 5 acre minimum. Cost share is 75% of actual cost not to exceed $120/acre for thinning, pruning crop trees, releasing seedlings or young trees.

Conservation Cover – 75% of eligible or estimated cost, whichever is less. It can include preparation costs.

If you have considered doing any of these practices, now is the time to give our office a call and we will be happy to assist you in planning your project. Applications for cost share are available at our office or on line at